One of my guilty pleasures is celebrity gossip. I know it's wrong on so many levels, but I just can't help myself. Sitting down with my US Weekly is the perfect way to numb out. When I’m reading about Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton, I forget about all my worries and my troubles, if only for a few minutes.
And one of my favorite columns in US Weekly is "25 Things You Didn't Know About Me" Sometimes they are boring and braggy, but sometimes it gives you a glimpse into the real person behind the persona, warts and all.
I know I'm not a celebrity, but I when I'm reading that column I can't help but wonder What would I say? What are the things about me only a few people know?
So, here's my attempt to let you in on some fun facts about me.
25 Things You Didn't Know About Me:
1. I didn't like dogs, until my husband convinced me to get a puppy 8 years ago. Now I'm obsessed with my Jack Russell mix, Scooter.
2. I collect magnets from every place I've traveled, but don't like putting magnets on my fridge.
3. I'm a Francophile and love everything Paris, France, & Eiffel Tower.
4. I'm a published haiku poet.
5. I'm a clothing hoarder with very little fashion sense.
6. Although I have no near future plans to have kids I love picking out baby names, most of which are criticized by my friends and family.
7. I have nine piercings in my ears.
8. I have one tattoo of my name in Irish, "Ciarrai," but I want three more: something to symbolize freedom from illness, my dog’s paw print (see #1), and The Little Prince (see #2). Update: I just got a lotus tattooed on my arm.
9. I love large animals, especially dinosaurs and whales.
10. I'm claustrophobic.
11. Shark Tank is my current favorite TV show. I also never miss an episode of Veep, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, or Homeland.
12. My favorite movie is My Best Friend's Wedding, but there are many close runner ups: The Lion King, LOTR, Jurassic Park (see #12).
13. I am very talented at the "claw machine" and can win you anything you want.
14. The best gift I ever got was a heated blanket from my husband. I use it every single day, even in the summer.
15. I am drawn to water bottles and travel coffee mugs and buy way more than I could ever use.
16. I was a kleptomaniac in college and my target was restaurant menus.
17. I've been told I look like Mayim Bialik, Helen Hunt, Celine Dion, and Ana Gasteyer.
18. My top 3 concerts are: Kelly Clarkson, Paul McCartney, and Billy Joel. Spice Girls is #4.
19. I'm pretty good at impressions of Saturday Night Live characters, but not on cue, only organically, so don't ask me.
20. I'm distantly related to both P.T. Barnum and Isaac Newton.
21. I'm hoping for a Squatty Potty for Christmas.
22. I'm born on Flag Day and like to make a big deal about a holiday no one celebrates.
23. I have an official 'Bucket List' that has 101 items on it. So far I've accomplished 22 items.
24. My favorite flower is blue hydrangea.
25. The top 3 celebrities I would like to meet are Oprah Winfrey, Hillary Clinton, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
What's a fun fact about you?
"Always go with your passions. Never ask yourself if it's realistic or not." - Deepak Chopra
I'm Kerry and I am a licensed therapist, writer & speaker. This is a positive space focused on how to thrive in any situation and the transformative power of suffering.