It's May—the month when we Take a Bite Out of Lyme Disease.
Lyme Disease Awareness Month is a little different from other awareness months. During other awareness months people are standing up for advocacy and cures. During Lyme Disease Awareness Month patients are fighting for recognition (and advocacy and cures). The Center for Disease Control doesn't acknowledge that chronic Lyme disease exists. This creates many problems for Lyme patients: minimal funding for research, no good tests for detection, treatment is rarely covered by insurance, doctors are unable treat patients without risking their medical license, the list goes on and on.
There are at least 300,000 new cases of Lyme disease detected in the United States each year. That equates to millions of people suffering in silence.
But there is hope. Lyme patients and doctors everywhere are speaking out and spreading the message of change. That’s where you come in. Please help get the word about this invisible, life-threatening illness by accepting The Lyme Disease Challenge 2016.
The Lyme Disease Challenge:
1. Take a selfie or picture while biting a lime.
2. Share one fact about Lyme disease in your post. Here is a list:
3. Post your pic on social media using one ore more of the hashtags #LDC2016, #lymediseasechallenge, #takeabiteoutoflyme, and #youalreadyknow.
4. Tag others to invite them to participate in the challenge.
5. If you're feeling generous, donate $10 to the International Lyme Disease and Associated Disease Society (ILADS) through this link. Your donation will go to train physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme and tick-borne disease.
So you've accepted the challenge. Now, what else can you do to raise awareness?
1. Watch Under Our Skin, a fascinating documentary about the CDC's denial of chronic Lyme disease and the subsequent effects on severely ill Lyme patients.
2. Learn these Lyme disease Prevention Tips. And learn what to do if you get a tick bite here.
Will you accept the challenge?
"They tried to bury us. They didn’t know we were seeds." - Mexican Proverb
I'm Kerry and I am a licensed therapist, writer & speaker. This is a positive space focused on how to thrive in any situation and the transformative power of suffering.