It's that time of year again. The time when everyone starts hunting for that perfect gift. People with chronic illness often feel overlooked. 'Tis the season to make them feel special with a gift that brings comfort and happiness.
Here are 20 ideas for your that person in your life who could use a little extra tlc this time of year:
Holiday Gift Guide for People with Chronic Illness:
1. Woolrich Soft Wool Jacquard Scarf
This scarf can be worn outside or inside to keep warm anytime. It's made out of soft wool, which will keep you cozy without all the itching. The colors go with just about any coat or outfit.
2. KitchenAid 3-Speed Hand Blender in Contour Silver
People with chronic illness make a lot of homemade soup, because they want to avoid the unwanted ingredients in canned soup. An immersion blender like this one, make the process much quicker. In addition, this blender comes with a electric whisk, which can help those with arthritis in the joints of their hands.
3. Mercier Leak Proof Premium Bento Lunch Box with Cutlery
Since many people with chronic illness make food from scratch, this bento box is an easy way to eat on the go. Because it is microwave safe and BPA-free, health conscious people can feel comfortable eating from it. The lunch box even comes with a fork, knife, and spoon.
4. Viniyoga Therapy Complete Back Set
This yoga for the back was recommended to me by my doctor, because of my limited ability to workout. You can order a set with poses for both the low and upper back.
5. Fitbit Alta HR
A person with chronic illness may not use a fitness tracker like most people, but it is huge a benefit to measure heart rate and sleep cycles, two things are greatly impacted by illness. It can also be used to set small exercise goals for good days.
6. Power of the Five Elements: The Chinese Medicine Path to Healthy Aging and Stress Resistance by Charles A. Moss M.D.
The Five Elements are important in Chinese Medicine and acupuncture and can give a person struggling with illness some insight into how to heal.
7. Fun Cat Socks
I'm not even a cat person, but these sock are too cute. People with chronic illness always need cozy things to wear around the house.
8. Organic Bath Bombs
People with chronic illness take a lot of baths to sooth aching muscles and detoxify. Usually it involves Epsom salts, but these beautiful bath bombs would provide a nice relaxing diversion.
9. Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate
Sugar is a no-no for people with chronic illness, because it causes inflammation. That's where 90% dark chocolate comes in. It has very little sugar, but tons of rich flavor.
10. Disney's Moana
This charming tale of a girl who overcomes limitations to change the world reminds me of what people with chronic illness do every day. Complete with catchy and melodic music by Hamilton's creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.
11. Believe Me: My Battle with the Invisible Disability of Lyme Disease by Yolanda Hadid
Yolanda Hadid has been a strong voice for the Lyme community and many of us were looking forward to the release of this book. It would make a great present for anyone with invisible illness.
These plants are easy to care for and bring calming greenery to any space—a perfect gift for someone with little energy who needs a pick-me-up.
13. Aromatherapy candle
This soy candle is eco friendly and made with essential oils. The lavender scent is relaxing and perfect for aromatherapy.
14. LazyOne "Ruff Night" Pajama Pants
It's important to note that people with chronic illness are not lazy, which is an unfortunate brand name for these pajama pants. However, I love this brand, because they are comfy, have a cell phone pocket, and have cute sayings. These "ruff night" pants are perfect for people with insomnia.
15. Chronic Coloring: Stress-Relieving Coloring Pages and Activities to Encourage Healing from Chronic Illness and Inspire Rebuilding Wellness
Who knew there was an adult coloring book just for people with chronic illness? Well there is one and it's only $6.99 on Amazon.
16. 100% Pure French Lavender Nourishing Body Cream
With 100% Pure you can be confident that the ingredients are non-toxic and won't irritate sensitive skin. It also have a soothing lavender scent.
17. KitchenAid Electric Kettle
Electric kettles make it easy to boil water for tea or a hot water bottle. This one looks just like a real kettle and would look cute sitting on the kitchen counter. There are multiple colors to match a certain decor.
18. Puppy Bluetooth Speaker
Music is very important for people with chronic illness. This cute puppy bluetooth speaker would liven up any room. Perfect for playing relaxing or upbeat music.
19. Burt's Bees Men's Gift Set
It's difficult to find men's personal care products that are free from toxins. This Burt's Bees gift set is perfect for the man who is concerned about what he puts on his skin.
20. Make a Donation in the Person's Name
If you know someone with chronic illness most likely they have a charity organization they support. In my case, I support the Global Lyme Alliance, because of the research grants they fund to find a cure for Lyme disease. A very meaningful gift would be to donate in a person's name.
Whatever gift you decide to give to someone with chronic illness, remember that this is a very difficult season for people who are sick. It's yet another reminder they can't do everything they used to be able to do. Remember to send some holiday cheer and visit people who cannot leave the house. It would mean so much to someone who could probably use some extra kindness this time of year.
"Some gifts are big. Others are small. But the ones that come from the heart are the best gifts of all." - Tinku Razoria
If you follow my Instagram you know I post a lot of pictures of my dog, Scooter. We adopted him in 2008 when he was only 8 weeks old. When people come over to our house, they don’t get to see how sweet he is, because is is very excitable and has the bark of a dog three times his size. But like most dogs he loves us so unconditionally it fills my heart all the way up. Here is my favorite picture of him dressed up on his last birthday in the newsboy cap my mom bought him for Christmas:
Our pets are very important to us as people with chronic illness, so I wrote an article about all the wonderful things they do to help us heal:
How Pets Help Us Heal
If you are an animal lover, you may want to check out this book on the healing power of pets for those with health issues:
I would love to hear all about your fur babies.
“The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool out of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a food of himself, too.” - Samuel Butler
Music uplifts and gives us energy to keep going, so when I'm feeling down I turn on my "Inspiration Playlist" on Spotify to snap myself out of it. My playlist currently has 228 songs and I add to it whenever I hear a new happy song. I’m not picky about artist or genre, if the song inspires, I add it. I didn't want to list all 200+, so I decided to pick 50 and include the most inspirational (or my favorite) lyric from each song. I think everyone should have such a playlist and you can use these songs to start one of your own.
50 Inspirational Songs to Boost Your Mood:
1. Nothing More (feat. Lily Costner) - The Alternate Routes "And tell me what it is that you see, A world that’s full of endless possibilities, And heros don't look like they used to, They look like you do."
2. Best Day of My Life - American Authors "Everything is looking up, Everybody up now, This is going to be the best day of my life."
3. Welcome to Wherever You Are - Bon Jovi "When everybody's in and you're left out, And you feel you're drowning in the shadow of a doubt, Everyone's a miracle in their own way, Listen to yourself, not what other people say."
4. Who I Was Born to Be - Susan Boyle "And though I may not, Know the answers, I can finally say I'm free, And if the questions, Led me here, then, I am who, I was born to be."
5. Only a Mountain - Jason Castro "This is only a mountain, You don't have to find your way around it, Tell it to move, it'll move, Tell it to fall, it'll fall."
6. I Was Here - Kristin Chenoweth "I wanna do something that matters, Say something different, Something that sets the whole world on it's ear."
7. People Like Us - Kelly Clarkson "You've just gotta turn it up loud when the flames get higher."
8. I Got a Name - Jim Croce "I've got a song, I've got a song, And I I carry it with me and I sing it loud, If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud."
9. The Best of What's Around - Dave Matthews Band "Whatever tears at us, Whatever holds us down, And if nothing can be done, We'll make the best of what's around."
10. Rise Up - Andra Day "And I'll rise up, I'll rise like the day, I'll rise up, I'll rise unafraid, I'll rise up, And I'll do it a thousand times again."
11. Life for Rent - Dido "I always thought that I would love to live by the sea, To travel the world alone and live more simply."
12. I Like It - Dixie Chicks “Living the lows, Makes the highs that much higher, And the sun will shine through, The smoke and fire of love.”
13. Bright - Echosmith "I think the universe is on my side, Heaven and Earth have finally aligned, Days are good and that's the way it should be."
14. O-o-h Child - The Five Stairsteps "Some day, yeah, We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun, Some day, When the world is much brighter."
15. Don’t Stop - Fleetwood Mac "If you wake up and don't want to smile, If it takes just a little while, Open your eyes and look at the day, You'll see things in a different way."
16. Shake It Out - Florence and the Machine "And it's hard to dance with the devil on your back, So shake him off."
17. Touch the Sky - Julie Fowlis (from Brave) “I will hear their every story, Take hold of my own dream, Be as strong as the seas are stormy, and proud as an eagle’s scream.”
18. Good to Be Alive (Hallelujah) - Andy Grammer "Sometimes you gotta get scars to get what you deserve, I kept moving on and now I'm moving up, damn, I'm feeling blessed with all this love.
19. Beauty in the World - Macy Gray “Shake your booty boys and girls for the beauty in the world, Pick your diamond pick your pearl there is beauty in the world.”
20. On Top of The World - Imagine Dragons "I've been waiting to smile, Been holding it in for a while, Take you with me if I can, Been dreaming of this since a child."
21. Get Back Up Again - Anna Kendrick (from Trolls) “What if it’s all a big mistake? What if it’s more than I can take? No, I can’t think that way, ‘Cause I know that I’m really-really-really gonna be okay.”
22. Girl on Fire - Alicia Keys “Oh, she got both feet on the ground, And she's burning it down, Oh, she got her head in the clouds, And she's not backing down.”
23. Beautiful - Carole King "You've got to get up every morning, With a smile on your face, And show the world all the love in your heart."
24. The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga "Put on your shades 'cause I'll be dancing in the flames."
25. Fly - Avril Lavigne “A little help is all it ever takes, Somebody has to tell you it's worth fighting, A single step becomes a leap of faith, That's when you realize you started flying."
26. Wings - Little Mix "No matter what you say it won't hurt me, Don't matter if I fall from the sky, These wings are made to fly."
27. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley "Don't worry 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be alright."
28. Wonder - Natalie Merchant “Doctors have come from distant cities, just to see me, Stand over my bed, disbelieving what they're seeing, They say I must be one of the wonders, Of God's own creation, And as far as they see, they can offer, No explanation.”
29. Thank You - Alanis Morrissette “The moment I let go of it was, The moment I got more than I could handle, The moment I jumped off of it was, The moment I touched down.”
30. Follow Your Arrow - Kacey Musgraves “Say what you feel, Love who you love, 'Cause you just get, So many trips 'round the sun, Yeah, you only, Only live once.”
31. Daylight the Dog - OAR “Hoping for daylight to follow me, If you’re lost in the dark get to where you can see, There is somewhere we're supposed to be, And you know, In a matter of time you set yourself free.”
32. Be Okay - Oh Honey “I'm wide awake, so what's the point of dreaming when your life is great? Celebrate the feeling, celebrate the feeling.”
33. Good Life - One Republic "When you're happy like a fool, Let it take you over, When everything is out, You gotta take it in."
34. Wildflowers - Tom Petty “You belong among the wildflowers, You belong in a boat out at sea, Sail away, kill off the hours, You belong somewhere you feel free.”
35. Instead - Madeleine Peyroux "Instead of feelin' low, Get high on everything that you love."
36. Fight Song - Rachel Platten “This is my fight song, Take back my life song, Prove I'm alright song, My power's turned on, Starting right now I'll be strong, I'll play my fight song, And I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me.”
37. Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen “I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky, Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity, I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva, I'm gonna go go go, There's no stopping me.”
38. If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out - Cat Stevens “Well, if you want to sing out, sing out, And if you want to be free, be free, 'Cause there's a million things to be, You know that there are.”
39. She’s a Rainbow - The Rolling Stones “She's like a rainbow, Coming, colors in the air, Oh, everywhere, She comes in colors.”
40. Almost There - Anika Noni Rose (from The Princess and the Frog) “There’s been trials and tribulations, You know I’ve had my share, But I’ve climbed a mountain, I’ve crossed a river, And I’m almost there.”
41. On Our Way - The Royal Concept “We are young, we are one, Let us shine for what it's worth.”
42. Follow the Sun - Xavier Rudd “Breathe, breathe in the air, Set your intentions, Dream with care, Tomorrow is a new day for everyone, Brand new moon, brand new sun.”
43. Try Everything - Shakira (from Zootopia) - I won't give up, no I won't give in, Till I reach the end, And then I'll start again, No I won't leave, I wanna try everything, I wanna try even though I could fail.”
44. Feeling Good - Nina Simone “Been flying high, You know how I feel, Sewn in the sky, You know how I feel, Breeze drifting on by, You know how I feel, It's a new a dawn, And a new day, And a new life for me, And I'm feeling good.”
45. Do It - Spice Girls "Come on and do it, It's time to free what's in your soul, You gotta get it right, this time, Come on freak and lose control."
46. Up the Ladder to the Roof - The Supremes "Come with me, And we shall run across the sky, And illuminate the night, Oh I will try and guide you, To better times and brighter days."
47. Today is Your Day - Shania Twain "Brush yourself up, no regrets, This is as good as it gets, Don't expect more or less, Just go out and give it your best."
48. So Small - Carrie Underwood "Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand, And what you've been out there searching for forever, Is in your hands."
49. Happy - Pharrell Williams (from Despicable Me 2) "Your love is too high, to bring me down, Can't nuthin', bring me down."
50. Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder "And though you don't believe, That they do, They do come true, For did my dreams, Come true when I looked at you."
What songs inspire you? Please share in the comments. I'm always looking to add to my list.
"Music is such a great healing balm and a great way to forget your troubles." - Ricky Skaggs
I'm Kerry and I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease in 2016. This is a positive space for those of us coping with Lyme disease and other invisible illnesses.