Most of the links on this post are informational, but a few are affiliate links to help maintain this website.
Music uplifts and gives us energy to keep going on a bad day. When I'm feeling down I turn on my "Inspiration Playlist" on Spotify to snap myself out of it. My playlist currently has 228 songs and I add to it whenever I hear a new happy song. I’m not picky about artist or genre, if the song inspires, I add it. I didn't want to list all 200+, so I decided to pick 50 and include the most inspirational (or my favorite) lyric from each song. I think everyone should have such a playlist and you can use these songs to start one of your own.
50 Inspirational Songs to Boost Your Mood:
1. Nothing More (feat. Lily Costner) - The Alternate Routes "And tell me what it is that you see, A world that’s full of endless possibilities, And heros don't look like they used to, They look like you do."
2. Best Day of My Life - American Authors "Everything is looking up, Everybody up now, This is going to be the best day of my life."
3. Welcome to Wherever You Are - Bon Jovi "When everybody's in and you're left out, And you feel you're drowning in the shadow of a doubt, Everyone's a miracle in their own way, Listen to yourself, not what other people say."
4. Who I Was Born to Be - Susan Boyle "And though I may not, Know the answers, I can finally say I'm free, And if the questions, Led me here, then, I am who, I was born to be."
5. Only a Mountain - Jason Castro "This is only a mountain, You don't have to find your way around it, Tell it to move, it'll move, Tell it to fall, it'll fall."
6. I Was Here - Kristin Chenoweth "I wanna do something that matters, Say something different, Something that sets the whole world on it's ear."
7. People Like Us - Kelly Clarkson "You've just gotta turn it up loud when the flames get higher."
8. I Got a Name - Jim Croce "I've got a song, I've got a song, And I I carry it with me and I sing it loud, If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud."
9. The Best of What's Around - Dave Matthews Band "Whatever tears at us, Whatever holds us down, And if nothing can be done, We'll make the best of what's around."
10. Rise Up - Andra Day "And I'll rise up, I'll rise like the day, I'll rise up, I'll rise unafraid, I'll rise up, And I'll do it a thousand times again."
11. Life for Rent - Dido "I always thought that I would love to live by the sea, To travel the world alone and live more simply."
12. I Like It - The Chicks “Living the lows, Makes the highs that much higher, And the sun will shine through, The smoke and fire of love.”
13. Bright - Echosmith "I think the universe is on my side, Heaven and Earth have finally aligned, Days are good and that's the way it should be."
14. O-o-h Child - The Five Stairsteps "Some day, yeah, We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun, Some day, When the world is much brighter."
15. Don’t Stop - Fleetwood Mac "If you wake up and don't want to smile, If it takes just a little while, Open your eyes and look at the day, You'll see things in a different way."
16. Shake It Out - Florence and the Machine "And it's hard to dance with the devil on your back, So shake him off."
17. Touch the Sky - Julie Fowlis (from Brave) "I will hear their every story, Take hold of my own dream, Be as strong as the seas are stormy, and proud as an eagle’s scream."
18. Good to Be Alive (Hallelujah) - Andy Grammer "Sometimes you gotta get scars to get what you deserve, I kept moving on and now I'm moving up, damn, I'm feeling blessed with all this love."
19. Beauty in the World - Macy Gray "Shake your booty boys and girls for the beauty in the world, Pick your diamond pick your pearl there is beauty in the world."
20. On Top of The World - Imagine Dragons "I've been waiting to smile, Been holding it in for a while, Take you with me if I can, Been dreaming of this since a child."
21. Get Back Up Again - Anna Kendrick (from Trolls) "What if it's all a big mistake? What if it's more than I can take? No, I can't think that way, 'Cause I know that I'm really-really-really gonna be okay."
22. Girl on Fire - Alicia Keys "Oh, she got both feet on the ground, And she's burning it down, Oh, she got her head in the clouds, And she's not backing down."
23. Beautiful - Carole King "You've got to get up every morning, With a smile on your face, And show the world all the love in your heart."
24. The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga "Put on your shades 'cause I'll be dancing in the flames."
25. Fly - Avril Lavigne "A little help is all it ever takes, Somebody has to tell you it's worth fighting, A single step becomes a leap of faith, That's when you realize you started flying."
26. Wings - Little Mix "No matter what you say it won't hurt me, Don't matter if I fall from the sky, These wings are made to fly."
27. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley "Don't worry 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be alright."
28. Wonder - Natalie Merchant "Doctors have come from distant cities, just to see me, Stand over my bed, disbelieving what they're seeing, They say I must be one of the wonders, Of God's own creation, And as far as they see, they can offer, No explanation."
29. Thank You - Alanis Morrissette "The moment I let go of it was, The moment I got more than I could handle, The moment I jumped off of it was, The moment I touched down."
30. Follow Your Arrow - Kacey Musgraves "Say what you feel, Love who you love, 'Cause you just get, So many trips 'round the sun, Yeah, you only, Only live once."
31. Daylight the Dog - OAR "Hoping for daylight to follow me, If you're lost in the dark get to where you can see, There is somewhere we're supposed to be, And you know, In a matter of time you set yourself free."
32. Be Okay - Oh Honey "I'm wide awake, so what's the point of dreaming when your life is great? Celebrate the feeling, celebrate the feeling."
33. Good Life - One Republic "When you're happy like a fool, Let it take you over, When everything is out, You gotta take it in."
34. Wildflowers - Tom Petty "You belong among the wildflowers, You belong in a boat out at sea, Sail away, kill off the hours, You belong somewhere you feel free."
35. Instead - Madeleine Peyroux "Instead of feelin' low, Get high on everything that you love."
36. Fight Song - Rachel Platten "This is my fight song, Take back my life song, Prove I'm alright song, My power's turned on, Starting right now I'll be strong, I'll play my fight song, And I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me."
37. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen "I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky, Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity, I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva, I'm gonna go go go, There's no stopping me."
38. If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out - Cat Stevens "Well, if you want to sing out, sing out, And if you want to be free, be free, 'Cause there's a million things to be, You know that there are."
39. She's a Rainbow - The Rolling Stones "She's like a rainbow, Coming, colors in the air, Oh, everywhere, She comes in colors."
40. Almost There - Anika Noni Rose (from The Princess and the Frog) "There's been trials and tribulations, You know I've had my share, But I've climbed a mountain, I've crossed a river, And I'm almost there."
41. On Our Way - The Royal Concept "We are young, we are one, Let us shine for what it's worth."
42. Follow the Sun - Xavier Rudd "Breathe, breathe in the air, Set your intentions, Dream with care, Tomorrow is a new day for everyone, Brand new moon, brand new sun."
43. Try Everything - Shakira (from Zootopia) - "I won't give up, no I won't give in, Till I reach the end, And then I'll start again, No I won't leave, I wanna try everything, I wanna try even though I could fail."
44. Feeling Good - Nina Simone "Been flying high, You know how I feel, Sewn in the sky, You know how I feel, Breeze drifting on by, You know how I feel, It's a new a dawn, And a new day, And a new life for me, And I'm feeling good."
45. Do It - Spice Girls "Come on and do it, It's time to free what's in your soul, You gotta get it right, this time, Come on freak and lose control."
46. Up the Ladder to the Roof - The Supremes "Come with me, And we shall run across the sky, And illuminate the night, Oh I will try and guide you, To better times and brighter days."
47. Today is Your Day - Shania Twain "Brush yourself up, no regrets, This is as good as it gets, Don't expect more or less, Just go out and give it your best."
48. So Small - Carrie Underwood "Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand, And what you've been out there searching for forever, Is in your hands."
49. Happy - Pharrell Williams (from Despicable Me 2) "Your love is too high, to bring me down, Can't nuthin', bring me down."
50. Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder "And though you don't believe, That they do, They do come true, For did my dreams, Come true when I looked at you."
What songs inspire you? Please share in the comments. I'm always looking to add to my list.
"Music is such a great healing balm and a great way to forget your troubles." - Ricky Skaggs
I'm Kerry (She/Her/Hers) and I am a licensed therapist, group facilitator, poet, writer, & speaker. This is a place to acknowledge and validate our suffering and trauma, while also learning how to turn toward aliveness and spaciousness.